Well you don't know how manufacturers obtain card of said capacity.
If for a 2GB card you need 4 512KB chips you may loose capacity in
this way. (may because really I'm guessing here). Better card will use
only one device but I don't think speaking in volume, that most cards
are made from only one device.

Moreover, flash has AFAIK an automatic bad clusters automatic
reallocation feature. It may be slightly different from device to
device (ie, different reserved space and so different actually usable
space for storage). Same for hard drive in fact.

--
Thibault Massart aka Thibouille