Also, while UPS pays their regular employees well they are notoriously cheap
about paying temp and seasonal employees.

BUT, wait, I want to tell my newest adventure with a parcel service. In this
case Fed Ex Ground. First Fed Ex Air and Fed Ex Ground seem to be completely
separate entities. There is a Fed Ex Air office just a few blocks from my
house. So when I got a card in the mail saying they could not find the
house, I went there to pick up my package.

Sorry, this is a Fed Ex Ground package they are over on the other side of
town. Can you give me directions? I'll call them and let them tell you how
to get there. Sorry Sir all I am getting is an answering machine. Let me
dial their 800 number, here you are sir.

They are on CSX Way sir. I am not familiar with that street could you tell
me how to get there, I am at your Whendover Rd office right now. Let me call
them and get directions for you. Sorry sir all I am getting is a answering
machine. I guess you will have to go over there yourself (to get directions
on how to get there?).

Out in the car I check my map. The street directory says it is about as far
away as it could be and still be in the Charlotte area. Ah, there it is a
little spur of a road, off of that road, off of a road I know about. Thirty
minutes latter I am there. Visitor parking, OK. Now how do I get  in.  Humm
looks like a gate office down there. Walk a half mile. Yes sir the pickup
office is all the way down on the left. Walk 3/4 mile.

Oh yes sir let me just call this number back any they will bring up your
package. Wait and wait and wait. Sorry sir I can not find your package my I
see your post card. Oh that's it she gave me the wrong date, just a moment.
Wait and wait. He you are sir just sign here. Finally.

Walk 3/4 mile back to the gate. Take every thing out of your pockets sir I
have to run the wand over you and pat you down before you can leave.

Walking 1/2 mile to the car, I decide, If anyone sends me something via Fed
Ex Ground again, I will refuse the package!

--graywolf