On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 09:00:56AM -0700, Shel Belinkoff wrote:
> Perhaps I wasn't clear.  What I want(ed) to know was if there is some way
> to generate a true raw file, in either a  format like PEF or DNG either
> directly from the camera or by resizing the file in some editing software
> (without changing to TIFF or JPEG or any other such format) to make it
> physically smaller, both in dimension and size.  As I said, I'm pretty sure
> I know the answer to that question (No), but I had to ask.  Adam mentioned
> it can be done with one of the Canon models.  It would be great if there
> could be a 900 x 600 RAW file could be generated  so it could easily be
> posted to a web page and people could work on it as some here do with JPEGs
> (often with the comment that there's not much more they can do because it's
> not a RAW file).
>
> Shel

There's really no point.   The only significant difference between a true
RAW file and a lossless true-colour file such as a 16-bit-per component
TIFF is that the RAW file only has one colour component per sensor site
(laid out in a pattern determined by the Bayer filter matrix on the sensor).

Once you downsize the original image you're going to have sensor data for
all three components at each reduced pixel, so you should save the data
using a file format that can represent this.

As a matter of interest that's what my original 'halfsize' program did;
it took the RGBG data from a 2x2 pixel array on the sensor, and stored
it in a single RGB pixel (taking the average of the two green values).