On May 4, 2007, at 9:32 PM, Jack Davis wrote:

> I remember a picture of Ansel standing on a platform he'd built on top
> of his car.(??)

I can't think of the name at the moment, but there is a company that
makes those platforms commercially.  Attaches to the top of a car
like a luggage rack and has a ladder attached to get up there.

The best deal I've heard of was one summer when the National Park
Service loaned Ken Marcus a cherry picker so he could photograph in
Yellowstone (or maybe it was Yosemite).  He produced a series of
gorgeous landscapes photos which he calls "Pictures from places where
there are no places".

Getting up above roadside clutter sure has its advantages.  I've
thought many times about putting one of those platforms atop my Ford
Explorer, but could never come up with the spare bucks to do it.

Bob