On May 6, 2007, at 8:11 AM, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

> .. I still cannot believe Pentax hasn't included DNG compression in
> the camera yet.  Does it use a more computationally expensive
> algorithm
> than what they're using for the PEFs?  I figured there'd be a firmware
> upgrade shortly after introduction, but so far no dice.  Weird.

Fast compression is often done by dedicated hardware. They might not
have the hardware for whatever the DNG standard lossless compression
is. The code to do it might be too big or too slow for a flash
installed firmware implementation.

I'm just glad they support producing both PEF and DNG at all.

Godfrey