Growing hemp was encouraged during WWII to provide fiber for the
manufacture of manilla rope.  At the edge of the small town where I grew
up there was a mill where they processed the hemp fibers.  After the war
the buildings were used for canning vegetables, but were referred to by
the locals as the "hemp mill" well into the late 1950's.

-p