> From:
> "J. C. O'Connell"
> If I understand this correctly and Pentax is
> no longer pursuing a 645D body/system, then
> this is GREAT news because it puts much more
> pressure on them to come up with a FF DSLR

I don't think you understand it correctly. According to one article I
read, Pentax is selling the LAND their current headquarters building
sits on, and transferring headquarters operations to other locations.
Additionally, they're dropping some business lines to concentrate on
their core of cameras, medical imaging, and optics.

As far as I can tell, the 645 that's being dropped is the FILM 645, due
to EU restrictions on manufacturing with lead solder.

All this appears to stem from a posting in DP Review quoting from a
Nikkei news article.

Here's another quote from a different article:

``This plan is to show investors how much we can do on our own,'' Pentax
President Takashi Watanuki told reporters in Tokyo, without providing
details. Pentax will meet Sparx officials ``sometime next week'' to
explain the business plan, he said.

Pentax will use stricter standards for selecting businesses and
operations to close, the company said in a statement.

Watanuki declined to identify any businesses to quit. He denied a report
in the Nikkei newspaper this week that Pentax plans to sell its
headquarters building and the surrounding land.