Thanks for the response Bob....

Yes, Steve McCurry was the guy ... and his grip did look similar to the
Pentax Grip M you mention.  But, from what I could see, the grip protruded
down from the right side of the camera rather than the center of the camera.
  The tv report showed him taking photos in NY on 9/11 using the technique I
described.  No idea where he is now.

Eric