frank theriault wrote:

>Several years ago some brilliant entrepeneur decided that a high-speed
>hydrofoil ferry service between Toronto and Rochester would be a good
>idea.  After fleecing various levels of government for money, the
>thing was a bust.  IIRC, It made all of about two or three round trips
>before it went belly-up, leaving behind a trail of creditors.
>
>As the inaugural run approached, one of our Toronto dailies printed an
>article, wherein they opined that the ferry would be a bust because
>(a) no one in Rochester has any money, as everyone's poor due to the
>layoffs, so no one from that end would pay to come to Toronto, and,
>(b) Rochester is such a barren wasteland, with ghettos and crime and
>no nightlife or culture, that no one from The Centre of the Universe
>(Toronto) would want to go there.
>
>I exaggerate a bit, but the slant of the story was that Rochester
>isn't a very appealing place.
>
>I kind of figured they were wrong, or at least engaging in hyperbole...

You know, those ferry operators *should* have been able to make a
living from people from Rochester traveling to and from Toronto,
without needing Toronto residents to use the ferry at all!

Actually, besides the George Eastman House, I don't see that Rochester
would hold much attraction for people from a big cultural hub like
Toronto. But if I lived in Toronto and were driving to the eastern U.S.
I happily pay a ferry fee and travel *through* Rochester to avoid
driving the QEW and going through Buffalo or Niagara Falls. ;-)