Hi,

On 24 Oct 2001 at 10:29, Robert Soames Wetmore wrote:
> I've always admired the K2 as the "ultimate" of the Pentax K's.

It is.

> However, I keep hearing that its (Seiko-sha?) metal focal plane
> shutter induces a fair amount of vibration (...)
> Can anyone confirm that this is true?  Is
> there noticeable degradation of image clarity - and under what
> conditions?

With my M4/100 macro and Soligor 4.5/300 macro and
some wides, nothing special. You can easily feel the heavy
vibration, but as far as I can tell, the most of it happens when
the shutter closes, so it shakes the camera after the exposure.

> >From "http://ca.geocities.com/spirope/PentaxSLR.htm"; :
> >In addition to its weight, it has two significant drawbacks:  its ASA
> >setting must be the most difficult of any camera ever made,

IMO the ISO setting isn't bad at all. The exposure compensation is another thing: full
stops only,
too easy to move without notice.

> > and its
> > first-generation electronic shutter is noisy and vibration prone.
> > The camera gives a kick that is not solved by locking up its mirror (a
> > feature it has), which no doubt degrades image quality at slow
> > shutter speeds.

Modern shutters are better at this, no doubt.
Use MLU, a good tripod, and try to avoid speeds between 1/4 and 1/15...

I like my K2 a lot!

Gabor