I see nowhere in DS/DS2 manuals (from pentaximaging.com) anything
pointing to the fact that the camera could allow shutter when no card
inserted.

I see no custom function allowing shutter to operate when no card is
inserted. My D had that custom fucntion but DS/DS2 do not have them.

In troubleshooting section, the only relevant suggestion when the
cmarea refuses to fire is to check if tther's a memory card with
enough space on it. Nothing else.

So, I can't find any reason for difference in behaviour the different
readers experimented (JCO and not sure whoelse).

--
Thibault Massart aka Thibouille