> The costume certainly has; spandex & aerodynamic helmets, and
bicycle
> engineering has made incredible improvements.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't wear spandex or a helmet. My
bicycle is a steel one and wouldn't look particularly out of place in
that film (except for the 21 indexed gears perhaps). I have a Brooks
saddle and a Carradice saddle bag, same as them.

British cycle touring is a bit of a time warp.

When I was in my 20s I used to sneer at the sort of middle-aged man
who was a member of the CTC, carried an old camera and was in the RPS.

Now I'm almost 50 and a member of the CTC and the RPS and have a Leica
of my own I switch between sneering at my younger self, and horror at
what I've become!

--
 Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecou