Most of the myths around the deaths of famous people are just that -
myths. I include the Kennedys in this. In general the most prosaic,
dull and boring explanations are usually the correct ones.

There seems to be some need within people to look for less ordinary
explanations when it comes to the death of heroes - could it really be
true that some god-like person was really killed by a nutter with a
gun, or by a drunk driver? We expect heroes to have heroic deaths, and
when they don't, we invent them.

The conspiracy theories feed on the inevitable confusion that
surrounds the deaths, and the fact that it's always impossible to know
everything that happened, impossible for everybody to have stories
that are 100% consistent, and impossible for all the people involved
to have behaved impeccably without making any mistakes.

There was a very good documentary about the Kennedy assassination a
couple of years ago (probably the 40th annivesary) on the BBC, by
Gavin Esler who was their correspondent in Washington. It's well worth
looking at if you ever get the chance. It applies modern analysis
techniques to trace the paths of the bullets - particularly the magic
bullet - back to the Depository window, and demolishes a number of the
other myths that have grown up around the assassination.

There are no Men In Black. Apart from my squash coach. And Stan
Halpin, obviously.

--
 Bob