Ya want a conspiracy theory here's one.  Jimmy Hoffa is feeling the heat
from Bobby Kennedy, (Attorney General and brother of the President).  He
goes to the Godfather of New Orleans Carlos Marcello to get the heat
taken off, (The teamsters strike fund is a piggy bank for he Mob and it
Hoffa goes down, they'll lose that major source of income).  Carlos and
his Consiglieres decide that to Kill Bobby will only anger the President
and bring down even more pressure, but to Kill the President gets rid of
the Attorney General as well...

I rather like this one as it keeps the conspirators to a minimum and
until recently the Mafia was better at keeping secrets than any part of
the US government.

--
All dogs have four legs; my cat has four legs. Therefore, my cat is a dog.