> >I think the new technology is often easily repairable.  It's just that
>most
> > of the electronics is now manufactured overseas and it's incredibly
>cheap.
> > A company makes more profit replacing an entire circuit board that costs
> > $20
> > and charging $250 + 1 hour labor, than they do trouble shooting the
>board
> > for an hour and replacing $.10 and $1.00 parts. For the company, time is
> > money. Also, the customer unable to diagnose othe problem, is happy just
> > get the serviceman in and out.
>
>We used to get service peopl in from CX Systems to work on our rather
>flakey
>Gretag 3140 printer. One of their favourite troubleshooting methods was to
>take circuit boards from one machine and put them into the other one until
>they moved the problem.
>
>William Robb

The additional benefit is that companies can hire relatively unskilled labor
to do this kind of troubleshooting. One doesn't often need to understand
electronics, read schematics, or use test equipment to fix the fault.  It's
more like making toast in a toaster.  Then you get charged 100x or 1000x
what the repair should really cost, and they pay the poor dweeb that swaps
the boards relatively low pay.

Tom C.