>Tom, you're nearly there.  It's because bodies are more likely to fail
>that I would be keen to buy a couple and that way ensure that my lenses
>could still be used.  I wouldn't buy more lenses because eventually there
>would be no body to use them on.  That would be a waste.

All this is hypothetical of course. It's not the path I would take John.  I
understand the logic that gets you there and that's fine for you.  I just
think it's short-sighted.  Not only might you end up with lenses and camera
bodies that don't work due to age, you could have an accident and lose a
camera body that way as well.  You'll have spent extra money on dinosaur
bodies, when you could have bought into a system that has a future.

Your last sentence somes up my reasoning.  Eventually there will be no body
to use them on.

> > Who knows what advancements could be made in digital picture technology
> > in 5 - 10 years?
>
>Not much, judging by how little progress there has been in the last two
>years.  As I said, this is a technology that is now quite mature.  The
>K10D is remarkable for its feature set and its price.  It doesn't break
>any new ground technologically.

Five years from now, what if you could get a 20+ MP body for around the
price of a K10D? You hypothetical actions are sort of investing in the past
instead of investing in the future.

Tom C.