>>> Were you using silver oxide batteries
>>> (the preferred type) or some other type
>>> (alkaline or lithium)?

> Alkalines.

As Bill points out, this is probably your problem.
The LX calls for silver oxide batteries.  I have used lithium, but am not comfortable
with them in the LX.  I have never used Alkalines in the LX.

My only experience with Alkalines was very, VERY unsatisfactory.  I put them in my
Super Program once when the silver oxides wore out.  I was used to the lithium or
silver oxide batteries lasting a year or more (and I never turned the camera off).  I
purchased Alkalines and didn't make it thru a single roll.  They died the same day I
installed them!  I've never purchased Alkalines again.

Regards,  Bob S.