On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> and was saved in Photoshop format.  Later, using PS 6.0, I brought up
> the picture, sized it, and adjusted the contrast and brightness.  I
> don't know how to use any other commands or tools yet.

Shel,

It's better to never use brightness/contrast, and instead adjust
levels and curves. Next time you get a chance with Photoshop, try
<ctrl>-L to bring up the levels adjustment window. You'll see the
histogram, so you'll be able to optimize the use of the dynamic range
without blowing up highlights or shadows. All you have to do is move
the ends in the "input" part so they encompass the part of the
histogram that has data.

If you need even finer control, <CTRL>-M will bring up the curves
window. Here you can draw a transfer curve to transform the greys in
your image. For example, you could increase the contrast of the
highlights while keeping the shadows about the same, or any
combination of things.

Those two are the controls you'll be using 98% of the time when
working in Photoshop in B&W.

Also, if your scanner program lets you save a 16 bit image, you'll
always have the original scanned data, maybe you want to save that way
and do all the tweaking at home.

In any case, it looks like your use of brighness/contrast did anything
bad to your image, but it's always good to know for sure.

PS: I also like the uncropped version better. However, it looks like
she's looking at you but hasn't yet reacted at you pointing a camera
at her. Did you take another picture, say, one second or two later?