frank theriault wrote:

>On 5/19/07, P. J. Alling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Probably the fear of the number 13 predates the event but it's been
said
>> that Friday the 13th is especially bad dates from Friday 13 October
>> 1307,  Philip the Fair, King of France, with the acquiescence of the
>> Pope, rounded up the all Knights Templars in France for hearsay, they
>> were found guilty, executed, and their lands and fortunes were
>> confiscated by the Crown.  All in all I'd say that would make it an
>> unlucky day, (if you were a Templar at least).
>>

>I'm way up at the top of a long thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating
>what someone else has said, but:
>
>When I was a kid, we were told that Friday the 13th was unlucky
>because Judas was the 13th apostle (and hence the number 13 is
>generally unlucky) and Friday in particular because that was the day
>Christ was crucified (I went to a Catholic school).

13 has been regarded as unlucky since long before Christianity. Many
cultures have regarded 12 as a "perfect" number and 13, one off from
perfection (as well as being prime, which always makes a number stand
out for good or bad), as suspect.

It's more likely that the number of apostles and the number at the last
supper were chosen *because of* these ancient beliefs.