On Jun 2, 2007, at 9:30 AM, William Robb wrote:

> A 5K investment to run a business is not significant. If your bank
> won't
> back you that far, then either your business plan is pretty screwed
> up, or
> you are a screw up.

5K is not my total investment in the business. It's my investment in
Pentax gear. ;-)

> Well thats really a bullshit statement, isn't it? In the long haul,
> a 50K
> investment in lenses should be something that will last several
> generations.

That's an opinion. I don't buy gear with the intent of handing on for
several generations. I buy gear with the intent to use it. It's nice
when I can pick up something old that's really good, but it's not
essential to the nature of the gear.

> What we have been discussing is the camera bodies themselves, which
> are now
> built uncomfortably close to the level of reliability of a disposable
> camera.

I think that's complete bullshit. Not a single one of the digital
cameras I've purchased other than a crap point and shoot has been
"close to the level of reliability of a disposable camera". If I
thought that was true of the Pentax DS, I would never have bought any
of this junk.

> You may think that hobbiests have unlimited funds for discretionary
> purchases, but I suspect if you poll some of the hobby users on the
> list,
> you will find that their major discretionary investments in
> equipment are
> one off purchases, not to be easily repeated.

Without wanting to put too fine a point on it, what a hobbyist does
with their money is up to them. If you have the discretionary,
disposable income to spend on 50K worth of gear to make you happy, be
happy and use it a lot, be joyful when it's worn out or otherwise no
longer usable that you got to enjoy it. I'm not going to worry about
you 'backing a loser camera maker' too much.

It's perhaps not a particularly sympathetic stance, but no one's
worrying about my goals of paying the rent either, and that's a lot
more important to me.

Godfrey