----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Maas"
Subject: Re: Rv: Don't shoot the messenger ;-)

> Your response ignores my entire point. I dunno where you got Hobbyists
> costs from what I posted, since I was talking about a pro shooter's
> costs. My point is that certain types of work require much larger
> investments in gear and thus you aren't going to be able to amortize
> them over 3 years or easily switch systems (due to initial cash outlay
> required). So while your point (that you'll simply switch kit if Pentax
> becomes unavailable in the future and your bodies fail) is valid, you
> need to understand that it isn't a simple exercise for some due to the
> cost of switching, if only for the reason that replacing the kit
> requires a very large outlay (And on that point, amortization is
> irrelevant, since we're talking capital costs here, and not
> insignificant ones some someone who shoots that type of thing,
> amortization is how you're going to pay the kit off, not how you get the
> initial outlay).

He was sticking strictly to answering me when answering you.
I am both a semi pro working photographer and a hobbiest.
My working kit consists of the K10 the 50mm/1.4, 35/2 and either the 70 or
77mm lenses at the moment.
If I had to change systems for work, I could do it with little or no thought
to the cost. One new camera and a 35-70 lens isn't going to kill me.
Godfrey has no use for the concerns of hobbiests it seems, or he might
believe that photo hobbiests are all well heeled lawyers. Perhaps this is
his experience with hanging out with the Leica crowd, who may well be well
to do people without exception, and who can drop 50K or so on a hobby kit
without breaking a sweat.
The bottom line though is, whether working pro with an amortization plan, or
photo hobbiest with no need for such a plan, if you have a lot of glass, or
some very expensive pieces, at some point you reach a point with your kit
where switching systems is pretty much an impossibility based on cost for
everyone but the very well off, whether they be pro or hobby photographer.

William Robb