My AF540 is now at Pentax CO. being 'repaired' due to my having had the
same sort of experience. I mentioned this previously (a couple times),
but I discussed the problem with a Pentax tech who told me it should be
sent in for repair.
I shipped the manual with the flash, so can't check, but it may be that
if the diffusion panel is pulled down, it will not recognize the
lens.(?)

Jack