My Epson 1280 is on its last leg, and so the wife was kind enough to
surprise me today with an Epson R1800 as a replacement. With that said, I
have a question and I'm hoping you guys and gals can help.

I searched the web (pdml archives included) and 99% of the articles
discuss R1800 vs. R2400, but not much mention of the 1280. The concensus
seems to be that

1. the R2400 outperforms the R1800 in B&W and matte prints
2. it is vice versa for color prints on glossy paper, with the R1800
getting the edge.
3. the R1800 also outperforms the older 1280 with color glossy prints

but... here's the question... how do COLOR MATTE prints from the R1800
compare to those of the Stylus photo 1280? 99% of the time, I print in
color on on "Epson enhanced Matte Paper". I do understand that the 2400 is
supposed to be the best option for this... but is the R1800 going to at
least outperform what I'm accustomed to (i.e., the 1280)?

All I hear is that it is not as good as the 2400... But that doesn't quite
answer my question unfortunately.  It has been a while, but I remember
that quite a few of you had the 1280 as well and my guess is that you've
since upgraded as well. So hopefully I can get some thoughts based on
first hand experience. I could open the box and see for myself... but of
course that would eliminate the prospect of an exchange.

In any event, thanks for any help you can lend. Best regards,
   Jerome