Steve Desjardins wrote:

>1. What was (were) the one (or two) feature(s) of the K10D that made
>the whole upgrade worthwhile?

Image quality - If you have good glass. For example, the Limited lenses
really shine with the K10D. They were always good with the ist-D, but
the difference between a Limited and anything else really shows with
the K10D.

>2. I*m not planning on buying the grip since the camera is already
>pretty big.  I do like the small size of the DS, but have used bigger
>cameras (like the 645 and the MZ-S with a grip) so the size thing is not
>a deal breaker.  Any comments on not using the grip?

Nice to have at times, especially when using large lenses, but not
necessary all the time. Nice to be able to remove it when a lighter
load is helpful.

>3.  I notice there*s a third party battery offered by B&H.  Is it any
>good?  It*s certainly a lot cheaper.

I got one. Seems to be fine.

>4. Is the 18-55 f3.5-whatever lens any good?  In some kits it*s
>almost free.

Don't know. Never used one.

>5.  Any other "you gotta buy this too" advice?

If you use mediocre lenses and/or expect anti-shake to work miracles
you'll be disappointed (except by the huge rear-panel LCD, histogram,
blinking highlight/shadow clipping warning, fast frame rate and general
speed improvement).

Take wise advantage of the anti-shake system, use good glass and it
will knock your socks off.