How does the flash compensation work?  Can you do it with the built in
flash?  I never have my main flash with me and I'd love to be able to
add just a little flash sometimes.

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
(540) 458-8873
FAX: (540) 458-8878
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> Stan Halpin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 6/15/2007 11:12 AM >>>
I went from *ist-D to K10D.

Recently my wife's Optio 330 broke, I tried to get her to take on the

ist-D. So I went through a session showing her how to use it.
That reminded me why I do not regret the move to the K10D.

K10D pluses:
  - shake reduction
  - easy access to ISO settings
  - shake reduction
  - higher resolution
  - shake reduction
  - moisture resistance
  - shake reduction
  - dust-removal system to keep sensor clean
  - more straightforward (for me) control of flash compensation for
use as fill-light

K10D minuses
  - I find the body and the body + Grip to be less comfortable than
the ist-D. The edges are less sculpted, just don't feel as natural to

my hand. Reminds me of my film days - switching from the MZ-S to a LX

was always a bit of a shock - a transition from nicely moulded well
designed comfortable grip back to sparse industrial age
functionality. Except here the newer camera is the lesser one IMHO.
  - minor issue with the size, harder to fit in my camera bag. With
either camera, the Grip is on 98% of the time, and except for storage/

packing issues, I don't really notice the size of either.

I thought that the batteries were going to be a minus, but with 2 + 1

(camera + grip, plus one backup) I have yet to have battery
limitations be a problem. I have one Pentax branded battery, two
others of some variety, they seem about equivalent.

I bought my wife a Leica D-Lux3. The ist-D goes back into the stack
of items soon-to-be-offered-on-eBay. The Leica is a very nice camera
except that there is no viewfinder. I couldn't find any point-and-
shoot still in production that has an optical viewfinder. I won't
claim that I did an exhaustive search though...

Stan

On Jun 15, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Steve Desjardins wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I*m thinking of buying a K10D.  (I have a DS now.)  I have eagerly
> read many PDML threads on this transition, including the now famous
*I
> regret upgrading* or whatever it was called and the new *Canon is
> better than Pentax" .  I still have  a few questions:
>
> 1. What was (were) the one (or two) feature(s) of the K10D that made
> the whole upgrade worthwhile?
>
> 2. I*m not planning on buying the grip since the camera is already
> pretty big.  I do like the small size of the DS, but have used
bigger
> cameras (like the 645 and the MZ-S with a grip) so the size thing
> is not
> a deal breaker.  Any comments on not using the grip?
>
> 3.  I notice there*s a third party battery offered by B&H.  Is it
any
> good?  It*s certainly a lot cheaper.
>
> 4. Is the 18-55 f3.5-whatever lens any good?  In some kits it*s
> almost free.
>
> 5.  Any other "you gotta buy this too" advice?
>
> Thanks.  Think of this as another excuse to open old wounds <vbg>
>

> Steven Desjardins
> Department of Chemistry
> Washington and Lee University
> Lexington, VA 24450