Hi Steve,
I meant to respond to this post yesterday, but something went amiss and
I lost it. The shot was on a stage in Hollywood. The "engine" was a set
constructed of real engine parts and imaginary ones. The crankshaft and
pistons are from a ten cylinder Dodge engine. The crank is spinning in
the foreground and the pistons are rigged on a hydraulic actuator behind
the crank. The actuator pushes them up and down, one at a time. The fire
is a napalm like substance that's burning on a stainless steel surface
just in front of the crankshaft. The circular objects in the background
are meant to represent valves. They're being opened and closed by people
hidden behind the wall. The bright white light from overhead is a flash
from a lightning machine. The commercial this was constructed for was a
Dodge Ram spot that depicted a surreal look at the inside of the engine.
I think the copy was: "How do we contain the indomitable might of the
world's most powerful ten-cylinder truck engine?" Then, the Ram grill
slammed shut in front of the engine, and the copy continued, "We keep it
behind bars."
   Any time I end up on a set for a commercial I try to shoot some
stills, since there's always some interesting stuff and some good light.
Once in a while we'll edit a still into a commercial for a jump cut
effect or as a background plate.
Paul