On 28 Oct 2001, at 15:40, aimcompute wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> What is an FL range?

Hi Tom,

FL = Focal Length :-)

> The term "digital lens" is rather a bit of a misnomer in my opinion.  A lens is
> a lens is a lens.  What counts is whether the chosen lens is suitable for the
> application.

Agreed

> One other thing I'm thinking... since were talking (somewhat) about the use of
> existing lenses on as yet non-existent digital camera bodies...  If any lens of
> sufficient quality attached to the camera body achieves a critical focus on the
> focal plane, and the image transmitted to the focal plane covers the entire
> sensor area, be it CCD or film, that's all that matters. When I say "all the
> matters", I mean it in the context of the image reaching the focal plane
> properly, in focus, distortion free.

Maybe but there is possibly an angle of incidence factor ie film is not as
sensitive to the angle of the light hitting its surface whereas the CCD cells
really function optimally when hit by perpendicular rays. I suspect that
symmetrical wide angle RF lenses like the CZ Hologon whose rear element
is almost touching the film may cause problems with CCD imagers?

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110