Kent Gittings wrote:
[Lots of stuff on CCD imaging....  Quotes and comments interspersed below]

Hi Kent,

Just a few notes, interspersed with quotes from your earlier message....

> The common type of CCD/CMOS array currently being used is
> front illuminated. That means the part that illuminates the pixel is in
> front. This means the light getting to it must pass through and
> around this part of the array. As a result I'm pretty sure in the case
> of front illumination the angle of incidence (angle it strikes the array)
> is very critical to minimize distortion from the hardware in front.

It's certainly true that the field of view of a single pixel is limited.
This is as it should be, since you want that pixel to see only the tiny
speck of light directly in front of itself, rather than having it respond to
the speck of light in front of its nearest-neighbor pixel.  However, this is
not the same thing as saying that the pixel will "see" only those rays of
light that strike the focal plane in a perpendicular fashion.  The image
formed at the focal plane array -- in ~front~ of the pixels -- can be formed
by rays coming in from a very large cone of light.  A simple thought
experiment will help illustrate this.  Imagine setting up a very small CCD
array -- perhaps only a few tens of pixels wide by a few tens of pixels long
-- on a gigantic telescope at an observatory.  The telescope is moved in a
direction where the image of only a single star is focused onto the sensor
array.  The telescope mirror focuses light from across its very large
aperture onto this single pinpoint star image, and the rays striking the
array form a cone with a large angle -- far from the perpendicular condition
you describe.  You'll agree that the star image is exceedingly bright in
this case, right?  Now imagine stopping down the aperture of the giant
telescope so that only those rays close to perpendicular are allowed
through.  Let's say that to make sure the rays are very close to
perpendicular, we stop down the aperture to only a couple of inches --
perhaps a hundred times smaller in diameter, and ~very~ close to the
perpendicular condition you describe, right.  What happens to the brightness
of the image of the star?  Certainly, you'd agree that the image formed at
the focal plane is ~much~ dimmer now, and that the signal level measured by
the corresponding pixel is ~much~ lower as well, even though the intensity
contributed by the ~perpendicular~ rays hasn't changed at all.

> The angle of incidence (angle it strikes the array) is very critical to
> minimize distortion from the hardware in front

I know I just quoted this same sentence above, but it bears further comment.
Distortion doesn't come into play here in the way you suggest.  Remember
that the optic creating the image is the macroscopic-sized lens mounted on
the front of the camera (or in my example above, the huge astronomical
mirror).  Any distortion in ~this~ optic will of course degrade the image
formed at the focal plane.  Once you've broken this real image into
quantized bits, or pixels, there's no more optical quality to protect, and
there's essentially no more imaging taking place.  Each pixel measures the
total integrated intensity of light in a pixel-sized chunk of the original
image.  This integration is by its very nature a "distortion" of that tiny
portion of the original image.  Whether that tiny portion of the image was
formed by a narrow cone of light from a slow objective or a large cone of
light from a fast objective has nothing to do with the ability of the
individual pixel to properly integrate the signal level.  What does matter,
of course is that the field of view of the ~pixel~ is very narrow --
otherwise, it will pick up light intensity from adjacent pixels.

> The reason they are transitioning to rear illumination is that the
> definition of each pixel improves without this front hardware distorting
> the light path.

That's not correct.  The reason one uses back-thinned, rear-illuminated CCDs
is to get enhanced blue sensitivity.  All that "front harware" really eats
up blue and near UV signal intensity.  AFAIK, the back-thinned arrays are
only used for monochrome CCDs.  Some of the more expensive astro imaging
devices you've probably seen in Sky & Telescope use back-thinned arrays.

> I'm also of the opinion that due to the differences between how the film
> lies and how the array lies that lenses for digital cameras also needs a
> flatter field than is necessary with film. Because the only cameras
> where the film lies absolutely flat is ones with vacuum backs on them.
> So there is likely a little more leeway in field curvature in film cameras
> than in digital ones where the array is absolutely flat to some fraction
> of a wave of sodium light.

Interesting thought.  I wouldn't hazard a guess on flatness of the CCD array
-- perhaps it's flat to better than a wavelength, as you suggest.
Certainly, film isn't flat to this extent, and I'd bet that a vacuum back
wouldn't bring film into this regime of flatness either.  However, I can't
imagine that a lens designer would try to take into consideration the
curvature of the film.  I'd think that he/she would instead figure the
necessary lens curvatures to produce a rigorously flat image plane.  To do
otherwise seems like it would involve a lot of very poorly characterized
assumptions on film curvature.  Even if film were held perfectly flat, the
gelatin emulsion is certainly not an optically flat medium.  Also, even if
CCD arrays are made rigorously flat, the manufacturing tolerances for the
body holding this array in position are certainly not going to be good to a
precision of a few tens of nanometers.  Thus, I'm not convinced that a
designer would calculate curvature for lenses for a CCD camera any
differently than curvature for lenses for a conventional film camera.

It will be interesting to see what the article says that Jaume was looking
for.

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY