I really don't think it was the "washed" card that caused the problem.
After drying and being closely examining, I detected no warp or other
damage, checked it out in the camera and found that it worked just fine
both in recording and in loading/unloading.
When the problem began, I tried a new (never used) card and I
experienced the same problem with the slot operation.
In taking a close look at the well used card, I decided it had served
its time and trashed it.
I really believe the two events were just coincidence.
The camera is now under the control of UPS on its way to Pentax
Service...I miss it.

Jack