Christian,

    I do my macro photos using an MZ-5, SMC Pentax FA 100mm f2.8 macro lens,
AF500FTZ flash and ASA400 film, either Kodak Supra, Fuji Superia or anything
else that looks good and cheap at B&H!  The lens goes up to 1:1
magnification.

    I always use this lens in manual focus mode.  As most macro
photographers learn, depth of field is often so narrow that it's usually
easier to move yourself backwards and forwards to achieve focus than to move
the focusing ring.  I assume you've already figured out that trick!  As with
birds or other animals, it's almost always vital to focus on the critter's
eye(s).  When a person looks at a photograph of another person or an animal,
if the eye(s) are focused then the photo looks fine, even if other things
aren't focused, and if the eye(s) aren't focused then the shot is destined
for the trash can!

    As far as flash is concerned, I'm very unsophisticated - I just set it
to 24mm manual zoom and blast the hapless wee beastie with it.  It's
surprising how few insects are put off by the bright burst of light, maybe
they're dazed and blinded by it!  Butterflies often flinch, but don't fly
away, it's usually my movements that make that happen.

    I often do insect photography using my Tokina ATX 150-500mm f5.6 lens.
It's not a macro lens by any stretch of the imagination, but it focuses down
to 8 feet and it allows me to keep enough distance to get photos of insects
which I simply wouldn't get with the macro lens.  If I succeed in getting
the distant shots then I'll often "move in for the kill" with the macro
lens.

    I used to use extension tubes together with a Tokina 100-300 f4, but I
usually got "hot spots" in the photo, even using the lens mounted on a
tripod with no flash, so I gave up on it.  I still haven't figured out why
those hot spots happened.

    There, you asked for my technique, so I've given you all you could want
and probably more!

Richard.