Thanks Richard.  I too keep the lens close-focused (a Vivitar series 1 105mm
f2.5 macro 1:1) and use my body as the focusing rail.  I get a real kick out
of stalking the bugs.  Countless times I've been so intent on the bug that
I've stepped in puddles, ponds and lakes!  Thank god for gore-tex!

I've calibrated the position of my flash on the home-made bracket so that
the little unit is aimed directly at the subject and the aperture is
pre-set.  Every now and then I use an old crappy 60-300mm macro zoom with a
Nikon 5T and or 6T closeup lens.  My next trick will be reversing a 50mm on
the 105 to get 2x.  Life-size is great but some things are just too small.

My film of choice is always slow slide film.  I absolutely love Velveta.
The colors are amazing!

Christian Skofteland