I don't know, Bruce (et. al.).  Seems to me that zooms are finding their own
spot in today's photographic world.  Years ago the argument for using primes
centered on the fact that they were generally a higher quality lens that
what you could find in even the highest priced zooms.  I don't believe that
to be the case anymore.  Today's technology and production have brought zoom
quality to a point that, if placed side by side, few if any could pick out
shots made with primes as opposed to those made with zooms even at the
highest magnification.

Zooms are a great tool.  They allow me to compose, shoot and recompose at a
moments notice without having to waste time finding just the right spot to
shoot from (assuming, of course, that my next shot will be from the same
angle).  The creative process still resides with me.  It's only the
equipment that is different.  I still have to determine the best angle,
framing, exposure, etc. for each shot whether I use a zoom or a prime.  If I
use a good quality zoom then the quality of the shot will come directly back
to my capacity as a photographer, not to the nature of the lens.

I currently carry four lenses in my bag > the Tokina ATX-pro 28-70 f2.6-2.8
(my "normal" lens), a Tokina ATX-pro 20-35 f2.8, a Tokina ATX-pro 80-200
f2.8 and the Sigma 105 EX f2.8 macro (my only non-zoom) used primarily for
macro shots since it produces 1:1 without attachments.  The quality of these
lenses easily matches even the best primes and none of them releases me from
having to think about how I'm composing my shot.  They simply allow me the
ease of altering that composition without having to dig in my bag so often.

Zooms?  I love 'em!!

Dave Hatfield