Mark Cassino wrote:

>OK - so when a superior technology comes along, the old technology dies
>off and is gone completely.
>
>Like horse drawn buggies (replaced by automobiles):
>
>http://www.liveryone.net/

<snip>

Good points, all. And they probably illustrate the ultimate end of
film: That of a small niche product used by a few enthusiasts. Compare
tha number of horse-drawn buggies in the U.S. to the number or
automobiles and you'll probably be close to the correct ratio (although
"miles traveled per year" might be better).

What's happened in this thread is that two different arguments are
taking place:
The "Film is Dead" people are arguing that film is going to cease to be
a general consumer product. The "Film Ain't Dead" people are saying
that it will survive because it's useful for some specialized
applications and because some enthusiasts like working with it. Both
sides are going on as if these are contradictory positions, but they
aren't.

Ill be going down to North Carolina next week and taking several rolls
of Provia to shoot in my 645. But I don't ise film for anything other
than special occasions like this and even then I'll shoot many times
more with my K10D while I'm there.