> Me (previously):
 > The FA* 600 F4 and the FA* 300 F2.8 are both made to order. Presumably
 > this means that Pentax Japan has the components stockpiled, and
 > assembles them into a lens when a customer orders one. I assume these
 > lenses will be available as long as the stock of components lasts.
 > Whan that is gone, no more will be made.

I'm quite certain that my A15/3.5 was made to order as well, although
Pentax
doesn't advertise it as being done that way. It took way longer to get than
it would have, had it been a stock item, even warehoused in Japan.

William Robb

-----

I'm still trying to figure out the economics of this. Is assembly so
much more expensive than making parts that it makes sense for Pentax to
make the parts but not assemble them until someone orders a lens?

Come to think of it, for most lenses Pentax must have parts stockpiled
for repairs. Perhaps that is how it works.

Joe