Bruce and Godfrey:

Yes, you are right, it does depend on the lens.
I just thought that entire range of view angles of lenses
can be divided into three ranges: certainly no vignetting[*],
certainly vignetting, and a "grey zone" in between,
where it depends on the lens.

In this particular case, I am choosing a CP filter that will
go well with a Nikon 18-200 VR that I am trying to buy for my brother
(he has a D70).
I've been looking at B+W, as I like the quality of the one I've had
for some 7 years. But since I don't quite like the problem of the
cap that doesn't hold on B+W slim filters, I would prefer a non-slim
version if possible... However, I have doubts that even with the 1.5x
crop factor, the non-slim version will work at 18 mm focal distance.
Even though this is a wrong list for this lens, I'd appreciate
anybody's experience with it and polarizers, shared on or off the list.

Someone here has mentioned Marumi DHG CP a few months ago as a slim filter
that still has a thread on the outside. While I am not sure if
this lens coasting is as good as B+W MRC, the first problem is to
find who sells these filters.
(Does anybody know a good source in the US? - I only found UK-based
kauserinternational.com )

Igor

---
[*] for all reasonable lenses (maybe except some weird models).