>> [ ... ]
>>

> With the exception of the *istD, DS(in TTL mode) and Fuji S2 Pro, all
> digital flash systems are entirely pre-flash based and do not use light
> reflected off the sensor to determine flash exposure. Traditional
> TTL-OTF flash is  more accurate than preflash-based flash, but the
> latter is much easier to achieve with digital, and allows for the
> wireless flash capabilities that have so many enthralled.

Something I've been wondering about lately, is which is better of a
traditional auto-mode and P-TTL. I mean, which is greater of the error
in the pre-flash based prediction and the inaccuracy resulting from
using a sensor not measuring through the actual lens (and making
calculations based on a "theoretical" aperture)? Any thoughts?

Maybe the best result might be achieved if you used an external sensor
to control the actual flash operation, but included a through-the-lens
pre-flash measurement to collect knowledge about the actual exposure
conditions? Is anyone doing that?

- Toralf