> > I'm trying to convince my department to send me to the Adobe Max
> > conference there at the beginning of Chicago so there's the possibility
> > of a Chicago PDML meet. It's an expensive proposition, given my
> > department's current budget limitations, but if I pay part of my own
> > may I just might be able to make it happen.
>
>When is the beginning of Chicago?
>Is that anything like the IDes of March?
>
>William Robb

In 1829 the State Legislature appointed a commission to dig a canal
connecting Chicago with the Mississippi River by way of the DesPlaines and
Illinois rivers and to lay out towns, to sell lots, and to apply the
proceeds to the construction of the canal. The canal commissioners employed
James Thompson, a civil engineer, to lay out the original town.

On August 4, 1830, Thompson filed his survey and plat of the town of Chicago
in Section 9, Township 39, Range 14, and thus Chicago received its first
legal geographic location although the town was not incorporated until three
years later.

On August 12, 1833, the Town of Chicago was incorporated with a population
of 350. Incorporation was enabled by an act of the legislature, passed
February 12, 1831, which provided that any community of over 150 inhabitants
was authorized to incorporate as a town, with limits not to exceed one
square mile in extent.

Tom C. (since you asked)