OK, maybe not the very best because I doubt I can afford them.  But I would
like to get one or two *better* lenses for my MZ5 (ZX5 to those of you in
the USA).  I've noticed there's a significant difference in sharpness
between the Sigma f3.5-5.6 28-80 FA zoom and the old Chinon f1.9 50mm K
mount lens (circa 1981).  The 50mm is much sharper, although it has some
chromatic aberration which is disappointing - but then it's a cheap lens.
It's frustrating to buy an expensive film like Fuji Provia 100F and not get
the most out of it.

I've been trying to figure out what the sharpest lens might be that I'd get
the most use out of.  The Pentax 50mm lenses get a very good rating at
www.photodo.com, and it's a useful general purpose focal length.  I'm think
that perhaps two lenses might be better - one for portraiture around 100mm
and another for landscapes around 28mm.  My original idea was to get a
17-35mm zoom two go with the two existing zooms (28-80 and 70-300) to cover
the most focal lengths with the fewest lenses, but sharpness has become an
issue.  I've really noticed the difference between lenses when scanning the
film at 2700dpi.

So far, the Pentax f3.5 100mm lens and the Pentax f1.7 50mm lenses look like
good value.  Maybe for wide angle, the Pentax f2.8 28mm or f2 24mm?

Any thoughts?

Rob

PS Apologies if this is a FAQ