[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In the film days,  I think Pentax and Nikon were the big draws.  When
> Canon came out with the
> AE-1,  they became a player.  Minolta made its mark with the Maxxam AF
> cameras.  IMO,  Pentax lost out with the SF series of AF cameras.  Canon
> EOS cameras were much better,  I believe.  I am not as familiar with Nikon
> gear, although in my mind,  the F series were pro machines.
> What seems strange to me is going to an electronics toy store and seeing
> lots of cameras there,  Canons,  Nikons,  Sonys, Panasonics,  and Olympus.
>  Pentax?
Actually, around here, I don't hold that as too unlikely. I have at
least noticed the K10D popping up on many webshops where I otherwise
would order a Monitor or memory for my PC, if you know what I'm saying.
Pentax equipment seems to be a lot easier to get than it was, say, 2
years ago.

- T
>  Hmmmmm.   Maybe not.
>
> Jim A.
>

>> So, after my fruitless search for the 16-50mm f2.8
>> over the last coupe of days (except for the 5
>> available from the guy in Tokyo on eBay, for
>> $1,185.00US), I decided to take a deep breath and not
>> worry about it for now.
>>
>> I took a drive down to a "local" camera shop in
>> Sacramento to pick up a couple white background rolls
>> and listen to the radio on the way.
>>
>> At some point I was reminded about this months' issue
>> of Outdoor Photographer. In it, they reviewed the K10D
>> touting its "unique" Foveon X3 chip  (see inset, pg.
>> 92). Suddenly, those old feelings of being abused
>> crept back into my head drowning out Boston's "More
>> than a feeling."
>>
>> I got to the shop and found my rolls of Arctic White
>> 53" x 36' I was needing. I took a look around and
>> wasn't suprised to see everything but Pentax on the
>> shelves. So, I asked one of the salesmen, "Do you guys
>> carry any new Pentax stuff?"
>>
>> "No, sorry. You must be one of the last people to
>> still shoot Pentax."
>>
>> "Hum, that's a damn shame," I said, "if you did I buy
>> one of their new lenses from you." I thought my point
>> was obvious.
>>
>> "Well, only about 1 in a 1000 people ever ask about
>> Pentax anymore," he said as if his math were valid.
>>
>> "That may be, but some of their new gear is quite
>> good, ya know," I said not knowing that he really
>> didn't know and was even less interested in what I was
>> about to say. "The K10D has been making some waves and
>> they have some great new lenses coming out for it."
>>
>> "Well, I don't know anthing about it, I haven't read
>> any of the reviews on it, and I don't make those
>> decisions anyway the owner does. There's a lot of
>> great gear out there that we don't carry." At that
>> point he handed me the charge slip to sign and I took
>> my yellow copy and left.
>>
>> It's a sad thing though. I really used to get such a
>> kick out of going to camera stores. Not so much
>> anymore.
>>
>> -Brendan

Toralf Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> +47 66 85 51 22
ProCaptura AS                       +47 66 85 51 00 (switchboard)
http://www.procaptura.com/~toralf   +47 66 85 51 01 (fax)