Glen Tortorella wrote:
> Thank you, Toralf.  While the problem may seem minor, I still say:
> why have a rather useless (and perhaps inoperable) flash atop my
> body?  Things such as these tend to irritate me.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Even though I'd be quite all right without
the popup flash, and sometimes think I'd like the camera even more if it
didn't have one,  it would quite definitely annoy the heck out of me if
it were to break. When I considered buying a camera where it wasn't
quite operational, it was of course because I imagined I would be able
to fix it.

I really don't think concerns about the flash should hold you back from
buying a -5n, though. It probably breaks "easily" if you are reckless or
absent minded when it's up, otherwise you should be OK. That said, I
also see the attraction of a non-AF body. Personally, I'd be more likely
to go for something even more manual, i.e. a body without a motor drive,
and possibly with a mechanical shutter - but you have already covered at
least on of those, haven't you?
>   While I have not
> made a final decision, I am presently leaning toward getting a second
> ZX-M body rather than the ZX-5N.  The only differences between the
> two are the meter and lens mount.  With regard to the meter, I gather
> I will become less dependent on it as my skill (and experience)
> develop.
The problem is that if multi-segment metering is all you can get, the
skill won't really help you a lot - as others have pointed out. But
perhaps you are planning to use mainly lenses where center-weighted will
be selected?