Tom C wrote:
> Well I'm sorry you don't get it.

No, I think you don't get it.

First of all, your hubcap or owners manual analogy is neither here nor
there. A hubcap or an owners manual is not integral to the operation of
a car, and I've never seen any that have a price that's anywhere near
the price of the car itself.

Like I said, there isn't really any equivalent to the camera body and
lens situation in the auto industry, but if anything, the lens is like
the engine. Maybe it's somewhat more relevant to compare with boats,
where people might actually buy the engine separately. If we do, we
might say you are complaining that the big Johonsonian sweepstake gives
away outboard engines and not boats.

Secondly: My main point was that Pentax is not just a camera company,
but also an optical company. And I don't mean a camera company that
fiddles around in the optical business a bit so as to have something to
put on their camera bodies. Pentax is an optical company first, a camera
a company second. And you are complaining because they give away optics...
> Even though we now know the site was not designed to attract new business to
> Pentax, let me ask... If you won an owners manual or a hubcap for an
> automobile you didn't own, what would you do with it?

Let me ask you instead: If you owned a car without a hubcap, what would
you do with it?

Now, consider a camera without a lens...

And apart from all that, if I was about to buy a camera, and was given
an expensive lens for one particular system, I really do think I would
choose a body matching it.

- T

> Tom C.
>

>> From: Toralf Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
>> Subject: Re: Pentaxian.com Contest
>> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:36:19 +0200
>>
>> Tom C wrote:
>>
>>> No why would I have a problem with anyone receiving a nice prize?  You
>>> obviously chose to ignore my first two sentences.
>>>
>>> I'm just pointing out the irony of a *camera company* having "legendary"
>>> products not giving some of those legendary cameras away in a 'contest'.
>>>

>> Actually, I'm not sure Pentax is a camera company. Or I guess they may
>> be, but a *camera company*? I doubt it. After all, we are talking about
>> the manufacturer of the stuff my optometrist will put inside the frames
>> if I buy a new pair of specs from him...
>>

>>> It would be like a major auto manufacturer running a contest and instead
>>>
>> of
>>
>>> including an automobile as a prize, they give away owners manuals or
>>> hubcaps.
>>>

>> It's actually rather more like if Suzuki decided to give you a motorbike
>> instead of a car. But not quite. Actually, I can't think of a good
>> analogy in the business you are referring to; yours definitely makes
>> little sense. Unless you know a hubcap producer that has later expanded
>> into an automobile manufacturer.
>>
>> - T
>>
>>> Tom C.

>> --
>> PDML Pentax-Discuss Mail List
>> PDML@pdml.net

Toralf Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> +47 66 85 51 22
ProCaptura AS                       +47 66 85 51 00 (switchboard)
http://www.procaptura.com/~toralf   +47 66 85 51 01 (fax)