I do my own scanning. I have two film scanners (Minolta Scan Dual II
and Nikon Coolscan IV ED), both in the 3000 ppi class, for 35mm work.
I've used 4000 and 5400 ppi film scanners ... there are gains,
particularly with respect to grain aliasing, but I found the
improvements insignificant for my print needs (up to 13x19 inch).

Like with all 35mm film, enlargement to more than 16x is iffy at
best. A full 35mm frame scanned at 2900 ppi and printed at 220 ppi
nets a 12.5x18.7 inch image area, generally about as big as I'd want
to make a 35mm film image print. The output density is a little low
for exhibition quality prints, but how good it looks depends on your
skill in processing and printing it. If you go to 4000 ppi scan
density, the output density at that size goes up to about 300 ppi,
often considered the standard for film image prints.

Most of my 35mm film image prints I make to A3 paper at about 10x15
inch image area, which nets an output density of 260 ppi with a 2900
ppi scan. This overall looks quite good.

Godfrey