From: mike wilson

> John Graves wrote:
>
>> Given the number of OT's, I think it ok to add to the mix.  Leroy
>> Whitter  is my great great grandfather and the person for whom my
>> Grandfather was named.   Although everyone who really know my
>> Grandfather called him Roy, a source of great merriment to my
>> siblings and cousins.
>>
>> Leroy Whittier
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhg2/1423880415/
>>
>> My brother, who has done an amazing amount of genealogical
>> research found the death record in a Boston Paper.  The physical
>> paper is long gone as it had been microfilmed.
>
> Just because it has been microfilmed it does not mean that the
> original has been destroyed.  Even if the philistine newspaper owners
> have done it with their copy, I would be suprised if a copy from a
> library has gone the same way.

I would be much surprised if the library *did* have a paper copy.

Most libraries keep [kept] newspapers for a year at most before
committing them to microfilm [CD-ROM or DVD now]. They just don't have
enough space to store mountains of newsprint.

Plus newsprint doesn't keep well; high acid paper and becomes brittle as
hell after just a few years.