> > We had an unusually high tide on the Thames today. I took
> some photos
> > with my mobile phone:
> >
> > http://www.web-options.com/Tide/
>
> Was it not high enough to justify raising the barrier?
>
> - Dave

I guess not. I don't know what their criteria are for raising it for
real, rather than just a test. This tide was high, but not dangerously
so. The pictures were taken in the 10-15 minutes around the high tide,
according to the tide tables, so it wasn't going to get any higher.

I have often seen it washing over the riverside path - that's not
particularly unusual, and at its deepest it will lap around your
ankles. Yesterday though it was knee deep at its deepest - the highest
I've seen it in the 13 years I've lived in this area. That's quite a
volume of water.

--
 Bob