Ann,

This is one of those people who doesn't want to take the responsibility
of his actions, blaming his shortcomings on somebody else.
That actually may be well the reason he didn't get that job.

On the bright side, while being irresponsible, this guy is
not that dishonest: he didn't try to scam you.

Igor