On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 23:46:05 +1000, Rob Studdert wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2001, at 5:06, Tom Rittenhouse wrote:
>
> > me they don't give an actual 18 megabyte image? Of course the current generation
> > of film scanners are more than 24 bit. Even my cheap flatbed is 48 bit.
>
> [...] If the sensor is 2000 x 3000 pixels then the
> the split is 3MP green, 1.5MP red and 1.5MP blue. [...]

Hi Tom,

Rob explained my comment quite well.  I was talking specifically about
the fact that scanners scan every color at every pixel while every
under $20K digital camera I've heard of scans only one color at each
pixel and interpolates the other colors at that pixel.  I guess if you
go up in price high enough you'll find one that does all three colors
at each pixel, but it would be a big son of a gun to get three CCDs and
a color splitter into it.

TTYL, DougF