In a message dated 11/12/01 4:36:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Humm? I paid $139 for a new MB with a 900mhz Athlon Thunderbird on it at one
> of the local computer shows. I admit it would have cost another $50 with a
> 1.0ghz processor, but that leaves the question; why would he want to pay
> $250 for one? Now maybe with an onboard raid controller and a 1.2ghz
> processor. BTW the 900mhz T-Bird is faster than that 1.0ghz P-III.
>
> The preformance increace would not be worth upgrading from 667 to 1000. I
> find that you need to double your processor speed to make an upgrade
> worthwhile.

It was a suggestion only. I followed your advice with my own upgrade: from
Plll 450 MHz to Plll 1.2 GIG with 1.024 GIG of RAM, more than doubling my RAM
(by 640 MB).
I looked at others: a MOBO/900 Athlon combination (Bus speed up to 200 MHz) @
$129 ($109 after rebate) was an option, but I was thinking higher.
*I then looked at a MOBO/processor combination of 1.4GIG Athlon (Bus speed up
to 266 MHz) for $259 (no rebate) but passed for the one I bought.
**Though I'd love to have a 266 Bus speed MOBO with a 1.4GIG PlV processor!
***I don't do a lot of downloads other than updates and I'm no "gamer"
(unless Chessmaster 7) counts, so "speed" for speed's sake was not a factor.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]