So these lenses were just introduced for market hype?

-----

No, the lenses are very, very good. As for SDM, it is quiet, almost spooky
until you are used to it. I think that once a suite a telephoto DA* lenses with
SDM are available, wildlife shooters will like the quiet. Other than that, I
regard SDM as no big deal. In fact, I'd like to have a firmware option to
switch between shaft drive and SDM. SDM is so quiet that one may not know if
the AF fails to lock focus. There is the focus-lock indicator in the
viewfinder, but I have long found viewfinder displays hard to read in bright
light--which is mostly where I shoot. So I'd like to have the option to turn
shaft drive on and off. That way I can hear whether or not the lenses focuses.

Joe

>>> Joseph Tainter <jtainter at mindspring.com> 10/16/2007 11:25 AM >>>
"And, of course, there's AF which is a much more difficult and variable

feature than AE and one in which Pentax really fell behind.  The big
issue here is again the lenses, as the new DA* lenses will bring AF
speed much closer to the market leaders."

Unfortunately, the DA* lenses don't focus noticeably faster with SDM
than with shaft drive. I made it a point to try mine with shaft drive
AF
for a few days before installing firmware 1.3 and using them with SDM.

About a year ago, a Pentax engineer essentially admitted that SDM
wouldn't bring faster AF.

Joe