When shooting paid portaits, I rarely shooter faster than f4, usually
more towards f5.6.

There are cases where faster is useful, but they are more the
exception than the rule.  On trick is to not put them too close to the
background - that way they are all in focus and the background is not.
Or you can use a background that doesn't compete with the subject.

I do agree that the eyes have to be sharp.  If they are, then a little
softness in other areas can be forgiven or ignored by the viewer, but
if the eyes are soft, no matter what else you do, the picture is not
acceptable.  That is one of the reasons I find manual focus so
important when shooting people/portraits/weddings.  You have to get
the right focus and don't want to be fussing with focus
locking/recomposing or fiddling with trying to set the right focus
point.  Just use your eyes and turn the focus ring to the right spot.

--
Best regards,
Bruce