C wrote:

> I think most everyone produces mediocre images, even utter failures more
> often than not, myself included.  I think few people look objectively at
> their own work though.

Like so many things, competence, incompetence, mediocrity, all boil down
to statistical references.  Competent/incompetent/mediocre compared to
what?  Judged by/measured against what reference?  My photos now are
enough better than my photos 10 years ago that the old ones can only
aspire to the current level.  Does that mean they're good?  Hardly.

> To your last point, I agree, but ask, who is striving for adequate?

Adequate is also a statistical reference.  Adequate in what way?
Measured against what metrics?  I'm pretty sure that your baseline, your
metrics, are different than mine.  Not criticizing, just stating fact,
as I see it.

I spend my life inside these sort of arguments, much to my dismay.  I'm
a software developer by trade, but the arguments are no less acrimonious
for the supposedly "fact based" venue.

The bottom line is, that even reportage is art, in this context.  At
least if you leave out the captions. :-)  People get out of a photo what
they get out of it.  Different people get different things.  It's a lot
like faith. :-)

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)